2009/04/04

Windows Live Messenger Sign in Fails but no Error Message

I have for a long time now had trouble signing in with Windows Live Messenger 2009 version on one of my computers running Windows XP SP3.

Clicking Sign in it tried to Sign in, after a couple of seconds it return back to the now familiar Sign in screen. There were no errors, no indication what was wrong.






















After finding the menubar and going to connection options was easy. Pressing the advanced settings button I was able to turn on logging, checking the checkbox the red arrow points to.

When logging was turned on I went back and tried to sign in again, got same problem. It was signing in for a while then returning back to singin window without any errors.


In the log I found this line:
Zone_Contact_Platform_Errors Contacts store failure, forcing Logoff.

Searching google for answers I found some suggestions like:

  • Deleting or Renaming Windows Live Contacts folder located at
    Win XP:
    \Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft
    Win Vista:
    \Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft

  • Reinstalling Windows Communication Platform

  • Disabling Windows Blind (or other windows theme chaning applicaions) from ignoring wlcomm.exe application.

  • Remove any traces of Windows Live Messenger from registry and any files from Program Files and Application Data folders and reinstalling.

Obviously neither of these suggestions helped me. I still got the same problem. Windows Live Messenger 2009 worked on 3 other of my computers but not this one.

Thinking about Windows Blind, I went to C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contatcs\ and found the file wlcomm.exe file there.

Right clicking it and choosing properties then choosing compatibility tab. I first checked the 'disable visual themes' checkbox. As shown on one of the arrows on the picture below. This made wlcomm crash the second time I tried to sign. So with seemingly no options left I tried to run it in compatibility mode for Windows 95, just for the heck of it. And VIOLA Windows Live Messenger is now working on my computer.




21 comments:

  1. That is BRILLIANT! Thank you so much for the relevant and detailed solution. --Jade

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worked for me too. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYY GOOOOD!!!
    THANK U SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!
    Y ESO QUE HABLO ESPAÑOL!!!
    I HATE WINDOWS BLINDS NOW!!!!!
    JAJAJJAJA
    NOT YET BUT IT'S ALL TROUBLE
    THANK U!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, thanks for the info! Need to make sure this gets around, since a lot of people seem to be having the same trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Legend - why on earth do we need to implement this fix - MS should have it working from the off. Muppets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow - simple as that. Been struggling for a while now to get mine working, come across your site and got it up and running in under 30 seconds.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey. i have tried all of this and i am still not able to sign into msn. :(
    I have "internet explorer" on my computer, and use "mozilla firefox" as my browser.
    when ever i try and sign in i get an error message saying " Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered a probloem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".
    I can then send an "error" message to Microsoft, or i can press "dont send" both of these give me know answer, only closing the error message down.
    If you have any idea on how i can sort this then it would be great.
    Thanks alot.
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my god it is soo fucking brilliant mate thank you very very very much you solved my problem too

    ReplyDelete
  10. see the thing is ....... IT DIDNT WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! got any other briliant ideas i have tried EVERYTHING everything i could find on the net ive cleaned the regestry ive uninstalled and reinstalled if done what you suggested everything and msn still wont sign in D:<

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the info - this solved my problem as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You saved my day, dude!!!
    You are my kind'a man, nerd!!!! Lol
    I'll spread the link around for other with the same problem.
    Once again, thank you!
    Cheers from Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cara vc é um gênio...salvou minha noite eu ja estava a ponto d quebrar meu pc d tanta raiva desse erro...vlw mesmo...

    ReplyDelete
  14. SIDERIUS RULES....! OK!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much. Quick, to the point, and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Man you have no idea how much time you have just saved me , not to mention the frustration!!!
    I spend the best part of 6 months looking for different solutions on and off and this one did the trick!
    Your awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Much THANKS
    My MSN LIVE 2009 Returned to connect
    Thanks anyway ... vlw

    ReplyDelete